Aarghh! Decisions, decisions. Trying to advise clients on which shopping cart to use is like telling them what car to buy. Unless you know how much money they’re willing to spend and what they expect from their cart (or car), you’re shooting in the dark.
A few things to consider:
1. Will it work on your web host’s server?
2. Does it offer the features you absolutely must have?
3. Does support cost money after the initial period? How much?
4. Does the company have a good track record, i.e. have they been in business for at least 2 years?
5. How often do they release updates? You don’t want to be paying your webmaster to install updates once a week.
6. Are their updates usually security related, bug fixes or feature enhancements?
7. What’s their upgrade policy?
8. How easy is it to transfer your site to a different web host if you use the cart?
The list goes on and so will I, but those are just a few of the things you need to think about.